Filing a Pitchess Motion for Police Misconduct

Locate a Local Criminal Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Defense and Criminal Law Issues

Filing a Pitchess Motion for Police Misconduct

If you have been charged with a crime in California and believe that an officer arresting you engaged in misconduct, it may help your defense to prove the misconduct. Police officer misconduct can include:

To help you gather information to support your claim of misconduct, you can file a Pitchess Motion.

What Is a Pitchess Motion?

A pitchess motion allows a defendant in a criminal case to request records about a police officer’s background and conduct on the job that may be relevant to the defendant’s defense.

If the motion is granted, the judge will order that the public agency responsible for the officer turn over any information relevant to your defense about the officer involving:

How Do I File a Pitchess Motion?

Pitchess motions must be filed in writing and should include a statement supporting your need for the evidence and how it will help your defense. An experienced attorney can best help you prepare the motion with all of the necessary components and file it with the court to ensure you have the best defense possible.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 03-10-2015 09:45 AM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark