If you are in this situation, you should request that the company or battalion commander investigate the military parent’s legal obligations.  The commander will conduct a thorough investigation and is required to report his or her findings back to you.

What if the Commander Discovers that the Military Parent Has No Legal Right to the Child?

If the commander discovers that the military parent has no legal right to physical custody of the child, the commander will order the military parent to comply with the law and surrender the child to the person who has legal custody.  The child will not be taken by force; but if the military parent does not comply, he or she may face serious consequences.

Do I Need a Lawyer for my Military Child Custody Issue?

Because of the special circumstances of, it may be wise to consult with an experienced family attorney. Speaking with a child custody lawyer can help you understand your rights and help you deal with the complicated legal system.