Damages for Slip and Fall Claims Lawyers
Locate a Local Personal Injury Lawyer
What Kinds of Damages Are Available for Slip and Fall Claims?
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, the damages you can recover depend on where you live (the "jurisdiction") and the facts of your particular case. However, in general the following damages may be recoverable for a slip and fall accident:
- Medical bills and expenses incurred as a result of the incident
- Lost income for time from work to recover
- Fair value of any clothing damaged in the incident
- Compensation for pain and suffering as a result of the incident
- General damages
What Are "General Damages"?
General damages are compensation for losses which are likely to continue into the future and where it is difficult to put a final figure on the losses. Examples include:
- Loss of promotion and future career opportunities
- Disadvantage in the labor market
- Inability to carry out daily tasks
- Inability to enjoy hobbies
- Future loss of earnings
Can I Receive Special Damages or Punitive Damages?
Special damages will almost certainly be recovered in a slip and fall injury because it covers expenses for medical bills and travel as a result of an accident.
Punitive damages are much more difficult to recover because they are intended to punish defendants to discourage some conduct. Unless the person who owned the property where you slipped and fell did something particularly dangerous or odious, it will not be possible to recover punitive damages.
Do I Need a Personal Injury Attorney?
Slip and fall claim are complicated and can be difficult to win. Consult an experienced personal injury attorney immediately if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 07-30-2015 05:09 PM PDT
Link to this page