Foreign Residence Requirement Lawyers

Authored by , LegalMatch Law Library Managing Editor and Attorney at Law

Find a Lawyer

What is the Foreign Residence Requirement?

Under the foreign residence requirement, an exchange visitor must return to their home country (after their stay in the U.S.) and remain there for two years before they can apply for a visa. Exchange visitors who obtain a J-1 Visa only temporarily enter the United States for a specific purpose.

What is the Purpose of the Requirement?

For exchange visitors, the specific purpose of their temporary visa is to promote relations and mutual understanding between the U.S. and foreign countries through exchange programs. These visitors may be subject to the requirement that they return to their home countries to share the knowledge and experience they obtained during their stay in the U.S. This may require them to remain in their home country for two years before they can apply for any visa, permanent residence, or change to a different nonimmigrant status.

Who Must Comply with the Requirement?

If you are an exchange visitor in the Exchange Visitor Program, you should be aware that you may be subject to the foreign residence requirement if:

Can I Apply for a Waiver?

Yes, you may be able to waive the foreign residence requirement if:

How Can I Apply for a Waiver?

You should file USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) Form I-612 (Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement). Send the completed form by mail to the USCIS office serving your area. Make sure to submit the documents, photos, and fees that are asked of you. You can obtain the form by calling 1-800-870-3676 or by requesting a form through the mail. If someone else (i.e. government agency or state) is requesting the waiver for you, make sure that they contact the Bureau of Consular Affairs.

Do I Need an Experienced Immigration Lawyer?

An experienced lawyer would be able to lead you through the process. A lawyer would be able to inform you of your rights and responsibilities and what you must do. If you would like more advice, you may also wish to contact the nearest USCIS office.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 12-16-2011 04:11 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Did you find this article informative?

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

Foreign Residence Requirement Lawyers,  foreign residence requirement,bureau consular affairs,foreign residence,residence requirement,exchange visitor,immigration law,consular affairs,visitor visa,cultural exchange,cultural exchange,nonimmigrant status,temporary visa,immigration,exchange,visitor,foreign,government