Death Gratuity Lawyers

Authored by , LegalMatch Law Library Managing Editor and Attorney at Law

Locate a Local Finance Lawyer

Most Common Finance Law Issues:

What is a Death Gratuity?

Death gratuities are special payments made to certain family members if a soldier of the U.S. Armed Forces dies.  They are governed by a federal statute: 10 USC §§ 1475-1491.

When Are Death Gratuities Awarded?

A death gratuity is awarded by the U.S. government once they have immediate notice that the death has occurred of one of the following:

When are Death Gratuities Not Awarded?

Death gratuities will not be awarded if:

Who is Eligible to Receive a Death Gratuity?

The government will pay a certain amount if the deceased falls into one of the categories above.  The recipient of the money will be determined by who is first on the list below:

  1. A surviving spouse,
  2. Any children,
  3. If stated by the deceased, one or more of the following: parents, brothers, or sisters,
  4. Parents in equal shares, and
  5. Brothers and sisters in equal shares.

How Much Can a Relative Receive?

The standard death gratuity amount is usually $100,000.  This is subject to various exceptions however.

Do I Need an Attorney if I Think I Should Receive a Death Gratuity?

It is highly recommended that you find an attorney if you believe you should receive a death gratuity.  A lawyer will be able to help protect your rights as an eligible survivor and deal with the relevant agencies involved.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 01-03-2011 02:51 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Did you find this article informative?

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

Death Gratuity Lawyers,  death gratuity lawyer,inactive duty training,death gratuity,armed forces,active duty,estate administration,authorized travel,duty training,equal shares,death,gratuity,forces,reserve,travel