Barber and Hairdresser Liability Lawyers
Locate a Local Personal Injury Lawyer
When Can I Sue a Barber or Hairdresser?
People who claim to be professionals have a duty to be competent in the job they do. However, to sue a barber or hairdresser, you must show that he was negligent in some way and that negligence caused your injury.
Can I Sue for Injuries From Barbershop Conditions?
You may sue the barbershop if your injury is a result of a condition that the barber should have known about. For example, a barber is liable if he lets people sit in a broken chair or if people slip and fall on water he forgets to mop up. If the dangerous condition is really obvious, the barber might not be liable.
What Other Types of Injury Can I Sue For?
Some other common injuries in a barbershop or hair salon include:
- Permanent wave related injuries such as burning a customer's hair or scalp because the barber applied excessive heat or failed to monitor the customer.
- Hair loss that was caused by a bad permanent wave.
- Infections caused by improperly sterilized scissors, electric clippers, or other instruments.
- Injuries such as chemical burns resulting from a barber failing to check if a type a hair dye is inappropriate for a customer and then using it.
- Applying excessively hot water to the customer's head.
What About Psychological Damage?
You might be able to sue a barber for emotional distress if you have a pre-existing psychological condition that makes you react more intensely to threats to physical appearance. In that case, if you can show that hair damage cause increased stress, depression, or other condition, you can recover for psychological damage and mental health care costs.
What Defenses Does a Barber Have?
Some jurisdictions allow barbers to disclaim their liability through contracts with customers. Beauty schools often do this. Also, if you were negligent or assumed a risk, your recovery may be limited.
Should I Contact a Lawyer About my Barbershop Injury?
If you are injured in a barbershop, contact a personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer can help advise you of your rights and help you recover damages.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 04-12-2017 03:10 AM PDT
Link to this page