H-1B: Temporary Work Permit Visa Lawyers

Authored by , LegalMatch Law Library Managing Editor and Attorney at Law

Find a Lawyer

What is an H-1B Visa Work Permit?

An H-1B visa is a work permit that allows an alien to work for an employer in the United States temporarily in a specialty occupation. Laws limit the number of H-1B visas issued annually.

What is Considered a Specialty Occupation?

Occupations requiring theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge and at least a bachelor's degree or an equivalent are considered specialty occupations. Some specialty occupations are:

How Can I Apply for an H-1B Visa?

Before applying for an H-1B visa you must have a sponsoring U.S. employer. The employer will submit an application to the Department of Labor (DOL) and then with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If the employer's petition with the USCIS is approved then you may apply for your H-1B visa.

I Run a Business. How Can I Hire Foreign Workers Using an H-1B Visa?

A company hiring an H-1B foreign worker has tremendous responsibilities and the guidance of an immigration attorney is strongly encouraged. There are many steps an employer must take. A sample of these steps includes:

How Long is an H-1B Visa Valid for?

Generally the H-1B is valid for 6 years. In some circumstances the visa may be extended beyond the 6 year period. The H-4 Visa for family members and close relatives and has similar restrictions and provisions as the H-3.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Get an H-1B Visa?

Whether you are an employer or an employee, applying for a work permit can be complicated. An immigration lawyer knows the ins-and-outs of the H-1B process and can recommend what steps you need to take.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 07-29-2013 03:19 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Did you find this article informative?

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

H-1B: Temporary Work Permit Visa Lawyers, work permit visa,temporary work permit,work permit,specialty occupation,foreign worker,permit visa,immigration law,temporary work,visitor visa,cultural exchange,visa,immigration,employer,permit,,foreign,occupation,temporary,business