Gun Possession Lawyers
Locate a Local Criminal Lawyer
What Is Gun Possession?
Illegal gun possession, also commonly referred to as the criminal possession of a weapon, carries increasingly strict penalties. Many communities have taken steps to reduce gun violence by enacting harsher penalties for not only the use of guns in the commission of a crime, but for the mere possession of an illegal firearm.
When Is Gun Possession illegal?
- Someone knowingly has in his or her possession a firearm
- Not a legally licensed gun holder - this includes those without a valid permit, on probation, or have some other restriction that does not allowed them to possess a gun
- The gun generally doesn't have to be loaded but it must be capable of discharging ammunition
- Often different rules apply to when it is permissible to carry a gun in public versus having a firearm in one's home
Factors That Increase Punishments
- Possession on or near school grounds
- Probation or parole terms forbid you to posses a gun
- Community attitudes toward gun possession and gun violence
- Aggravating or mitigating circumstances
- Prior convictions
When Are Gun Sales illegal?
- It is against the law to sell guns or ammunition to underage individuals
- It is unlawful to sell guns unless you are licensed to sell or import guns or firearms
Accused of Gun Possession or Another Gun Offense?
If you are accused of illegal gun possession or another gun offense, you should contact a criminal defense lawyer immediately to learn more about your rights, your defenses and the complicated legal system.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 06-18-2014 03:56 PM PDT
Did you find this article informative?
Link to this page