What Can a Chicago Immigration Lawyer Do for You?
An experienced Chicago immigration lawyer can represent you in a wide range of cases. Immigration matters can be routine or very complex with high-stakes outcomes. An experienced immigration lawyer can serve you well in all situations.
Some of the types of cases for which an immigration can help you are the following:
- Bond hearings if you have been detained;
- Application for an H1-B, F-1 or L-1 visa;
- Application for a change of status;
- Application for Naturalization;
- Appeals of denials of Request, Applications and Petition.
This list is not exhaustive. There are many other actions that can be requested from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). An experienced immigration lawyer will know which one you need for your situation. The lawyer will also know how to complete the necessary form. Again, an experienced lawyer in Chicago will be able to help you identify the documents you need and locate them.
How Much Does an Immigration Lawyer Cost?
The cost of a Chicago immigration lawyer depends on several factors, including:
- The type and complexity of the case;
- The lawyer’s years of experience;
- Whether the attorney has any special credential other than a J.D. degree;
- Where the attorney is located; and
- How the attorney charges for their services.
Generally, if an attorney bills on an hourly fee basis, the hourly fee can range from $100 to $500. An attorney may also charge an up-front retainer fee to begin work on your case. This can range from $1,000 to $5,000. The attorney then subtracts their fee from the retainer amount as they earn the fee by working on your case.
If an attorney charges you a contingency fee, then the attorney collects a percentage of any money award they obtain for you. Attorneys can also work on a per-service, flat fee basis. For example, they might charge $1,500 for an Application for Travel Document.