Resisting Arrest Lawyers

Locate a Local Criminal Lawyer

Most Common Defense and Criminal Law Issues

Can I Ever Resist Arrest?

The answer to this question varies from state to state. In most places, you are no longer allowed to resist arrest, even if it is an unlawful arrest. The best advice is to go peacefully with the police. If you feel that you are the victim of a false arrest or any other form of police misconduct, go with the police and then get a lawyer and file a complaint.

What Is Resisting Arrest?

Resisting arrest is usually defined as the use of any amount of physical force to prevent a police officer from arresting, handcuffing, and/or taking you to jail. Even a small amount of force can be enough. Resisting arrest is a misdemeanor. So, in addition to any charges already being brought against you, if you resist arrest another charge can be brought adding more fines and possible jail time.

What if the Police Are Using Excessive Force, Can I Resist Arrest Then?

The traditional rule is that you are allowed to defend yourself if an officer uses excessive force against you. But this may not be the best idea. Rather, it may upset the officer(s) even more, causing them to use even more force. Also, if you use force in defending yourself it could be seen as resisting arrest. The best advice is to not do anything to upset the officer and never use physical force against an officer.

What Happens if I Use Physical Force against a Police Officer?

If you attempt to resist arrest and use physical force, the charge of resisting arrest can escalate into assaulting an officer. Assaulting an officer is a felony. Because resisting arrest often involves some physical struggle with an officer, there is a high probability that your misdemeanor resisting arrest charge can turn into felony assaulting an officer.

What Should I Do if I Am Arrested? Will I Need a Lawyer?

The best advice is to go peacefully with the officer(s) and say that you wish to remain silent and would like an attorney. Remain silent until you get an attorney. Do not attempt to resist and never use force against a police officer. If you feel that you are the victim of police misconduct, consult an attorney and file a complaint. Anytime you are arrested, you should consult a criminal defense attorney who can advise you of your rights and defenses and help you with the complicated legal system.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 08-31-2012 09:54 AM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Did you find this article informative?

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

Resisting Arrest Lawyers,  resisting arrest,criminal law,physical force,police officer,assaulting officer,file complaint,remain silent,law,arrest,resist,lawyer,legal,officer,lawyers,police,force,criminal,physical,charge,attorney,consult