Medical Technology Lawyers
Locate a Local Intellectual Property Lawyer
What Is Medical Technology?
Medical technology encompasses devices and equipment that have been invented to innovate medical processes, speed up disease detection time, and enhance recovery and treatment.
Medical technology can be used by doctors, nurses, lab technicians, pharmaceutical manufacturers, or even patients in their own homes.
If you have invented or designed a product for use in the medical field and wish to bring it to market, there is a whole host of considerations you need to take into account.
What Is the Life Cycle of a Medical Technology Device?
Before a device is even ready for sale, it must go through multiple steps.
- Design: You must first design your concept. This may include conducting research, drafting plans, and experimenting with different methods.
- Patenting: Once you have come up with your final design, you need to patent your product. First search to see if someone has already patented the same design. If not, you can apply for a patent through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. This will protect your intellectual property by prohibiting others from replicating your design and profiting off of it.
- Construction: Now you need to actually build your medical device. You will need to find parts suppliers, manufacturers, and distributors. You may also need to obtain capital to finance the manufacture and distribution of your medical technology.
- Regulatory Approval: Depending on the type of equipment, you will likely need to have your product tested and approved by a federal regulatory agency. This requires filing paperwork, undergoing inspections, and awaiting approval before selling your medical technology.
- Sales: After receiving regulatory approval, you are ready to sell your product! Now you need to market the product, procure sales, and deliver the product.
- Maintenance: After a sale has been processed, you need to have a system in place to deal with device failure and other customer service issues. You will want engineers trained to fix faulty equipment or address other issues that arise from operating the medical technology.
Do I Need a Lawyer If I Have Invented a Medical Device?
If you have invented a medical device, you should consult with an intellectual property lawyer who can help you patent your product and defend against patent trolls.
The laws regarding medical technology patenting are extremely complex. Other medical device manufacturers are constantly innovating and looking for new revenue sources, and you want to protect your design from these competitors. U.S. patent law is not a field that the average person can navigate with ease.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 04-17-2015 11:58 AM PDT
Link to this page