What are Some Common Consumer Issues?
Consumer issues can arise anytime a person makes a purchase or sales transaction as a consumer. There are various consumer protection laws in place that guarantee consumers the rights to honest advertising, safety standards, and standards for quality in a product. Some common consumer issues to be aware of include:
- Issues with product safety and defects
- False advertising and unfair business practices
- Consumer fraud issues
- Breaches of contracts and breach of consumer warranties
- Coercion or duress (forcing someone to sign a contract)
- Personal injuries resulting from dangerous products
- Product recall issues
Thus, consumer protection laws can often involve a wide range of different legal concepts. Also, every state maintains different consumer laws, so each consumer issue may raise a different concern depending on the state.
What if I Have a Legal Dispute that Involves a Consumer Issue?
Consumer issues are often at the center of many lawsuits and legal proceedings. For instance, contract disputes, real estate lawsuits, bankruptcy proceedings, and personal injury cases can often involve an issue with consumer laws. If you have a legal dispute that involves a consumer issue, it’s helpful to consider the following tips:
- Keep copies of your purchase receipts and sales documents; these can be used as evidence in court if necessary
- Review any documents that might detail your warranty rights in relation to the purchase
- Keep a record of any losses caused by the consumer issue. This can include such things as medical bills, paystubs for lost wages, and financial account statements
- Make a list of any contact persons who may be available as witnesses, along with some of their personal statements regarding the consumer issue at hand
- Make your own account of the events that led up to the consumer violation incident, along with the incident itself
Following these steps will help keep you better prepared to take legal action on your consumer issue. Whether it’s filing a consumer complaint or filing a claim in a court of law, you’ll want to be prepared to back your claims with documentation and evidence.
Do I Need a Lawyer for Assistance with Consumer Issues?
Consumer legal issues can sometimes involve complex overlaps of different laws and regulations. It may be in your best interests to hire a qualified lawyer if you need assistance with any consumer issues. Your attorney can help you review documents, file specific forms, and many other tasks. Also, your lawyer will be able to guide you during the actual court hearings and meetings.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 08-05-2013 01:01 PM PDT
Did you find this article informative?