Find the right lawyer now

Fourth Degree Domestic Violence Assault in Washington State Lawyers

Find a Local Family Lawyer near You

What is Assault?

Assault is generally defined as an attempted battery on a person, which is the unauthorized application of force against or the offensive touching of a victim. In Washington State, assault in the fourth degree is defined as any type of assault that does not rise to the level of first, second, or third degree assault. In Washington, a person accused of domestic violence can also be charged with assault in the fourth degree.

What is Misdemeanor Domestic Violence?

Misdemeanor domestic violence occurs when someone threatens to or actually commits violence against another person. The person must be a family member (e.g. current spouse, former spouse, child, partner) or member of the same household (e.g. roommate).

What is Assault in the Fourth Degree Domestic Violence in Washington State?

Fourth degree assault is an attempted battery that causes contact that would be offensive to a reasonable, ordinary person. The attempted battery must have been made against a family member or member of the same household.

Does the Victim Have to be Injured for Me to be Charged with Fourth Degree Domestic Violence Assault?

No. In order to be charged with fourth degree domestic violence assault, the victim does not need to have an actual injury. If the police arrive and the victim claims they faced unwanted touching from the defendant, then the defendant can be arrested.

Is DV Assault in the Fourth Degree a Misdemeanor Charge?

Fourth degree domestic violence assault is charged as a gross misdemeanor. A gross misdemeanor is the most severe of all the misdemeanor charges. The crime indicates that the defendant showed a total disregard for human life with their conduct, so the charge should reflect the severity of the crime.

What the Punishment for this Crime?

A convicted defendant can face up to 364 days in jail and/or a fine of $5,000.

Are there Any Other Consequences of Being Convicted of Assault in the Fourth Degree with Domestic Violence Charge?

Yes. The defendant will lose the right to possess a firearm and may have to follow a no-contact order.

Should I Contact a Lawyer for Help with My Domestic Violence Assault Charge?

Yes, to learn more about your criminal charge and fight it, contact a criminal lawyer.

Photo of page author Taelonnda Sewell

, LegalMatch Legal Writer

Last Modified: 07-27-2016 04:01 PM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.