Peritoneal Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that affects the lining in the abdomen. The affected lining is important for lubricating various internal organs and for protecting the abdomen and its contents. Mesothelioma is often associated with exposure to asbestos and asbestos-containing materials, and also develops in areas such as the lungs.
Common symptoms of peritoneal mesothelioma include:
- Pain in the abdomen
- Swelling due to fluid retention in the abdomen
- Weight loss
- Bowel obstruction
- Various blood irregularities
- Fever, pain, and other symptoms
Can I Recover Damages for a Peritoneal Mesothelioma Case?
As mentioned, mesothelioma in general is often associated with exposure to asbestos. Thus, many persons with peritoneal mesothelioma have been able to file legal claims in connection with asbestos exposure and mesothelioma. Various parties can be held liable for asbestos exposure, including employers, managers, supervisors, and other persons or parties.
Peritoneal mesothelioma is often classified as an industrial disease or a work-related injury. Thus, damages for medical costs and expenses can often be covered by insurance or workers compensation. Liability may also be attributed to employer negligence or recklessness. Some claims can also involve wrongful death issues.
For instance, an employer or field manager may be held liable for injuries if they know that a worker might be exposed to a toxic substance, yet allow them to continue working in the area without adequate protection or safety measures.
Legal Issues to Consider
Some other legal issues to consider regarding mesothelioma include:
- Statute of frauds- some states don’t allow cases to be filed if it has been too long since the discovery of the injury or since the incident itself.
- Limits on damages awards- Some states limit the amount of damages that can be claimed in a personal injury case, especially punitive damages.
- Contributory negligence- Damages may also be limited if the plaintiff somehow contributed to their own injuries or condition.
Should I Hire a Lawyer for Help with Peritoneal Mesothelioma Claims?
Peritoneal mesothelioma can often be a serious condition and can involve various laws, including personal injury, employment, and other laws. You may need to hire a personal injury lawyer if you need help with any type of mesothelioma claim. Your attorney can provide you with legal advice and representation regarding your claim. Also, if you need to appear in court, your lawyer can provide you with assistance during court proceedings.