What Can a Los Angeles Bankruptcy Lawyer Do for You?
Whether you are a person or a business, the main aim of filing for bankruptcy is to restructure debts that have become overwhelming and unmanageable. Thus, a Los Angeles bankruptcy lawyer can assist both persons and businesses that are currently struggling to declare the proper chapter of bankruptcy that fits their particular situation.
In general, a Los Angeles bankruptcy lawyer can provide a wide range of legal services, such as:
- Making sure that a client complies with all bankruptcy requirements;
- Providing legal representation in bankruptcy court proceedings and any other meetings;
- Reviewing all documents that are related to the bankruptcy proceeding; and
- Providing legal advice on any issues that arise before, during, or after a petition for bankruptcy is filed.
Additionally, a Los Angeles bankruptcy lawyer can explain the benefits and risks of declaring bankruptcy. They can also explain the legal rights and obligations that a bankruptcy petitioner has under U.S. federal bankruptcy regulations.
How Much Does a Bankruptcy Lawyer Cost?
The amount it costs to hire a bankruptcy lawyer in Los Angeles will depend on the type of legal services that a person is asking them to perform as well as on the fee structure. Of course, such costs can be affected by a number of other factors, including:
- How complicated the legal issues are;
- The lawyer’s skills and experiencer; and
- The chapter of bankruptcy.
In regard to the last factor, persons who hire a bankruptcy lawyer in Los Angeles can expect to pay somewhere between $1,200 and $2,000 if they are filing a straight-forward Chapter 7 petition.
On the other hand, persons opting to file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy petition will typically need to pay somewhere between $4,000 and $5,000. As for businesses filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy or local municipalities filing Chapter 9, they should ask for a quote from a Los Angeles bankruptcy lawyer to get a better estimate.