Rental Car Automobile Accident Lawyers
When a rental car is involved in an automobile accident the potential exists for more parties to become involved in a lawsuit to collect damages.
Potential Additional Parties
Besides insurance companies, when a rental car is involved the following parties may also enter into the negotiations:
- Rental car company, as the owner of the car, and its insurers
- Credit card issuer and its insurers (if operator elected for credit card coverage)
- Supplemental insurance companies (if operator chose additional coverage at time of rental)
What is Supplemental Insurance?
Car rental companies offer their customers different types of insurance or insurance-like coverage. Most states do not require customer acceptance of supplemental insurance because many renters already have the coverage in their personal policies. The three most common are:
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW): Waiver of all or part of the cost if the rental car is damaged or stolen
- Supplemental Liability Protection (SLP): Used to protect the driver from lawsuits by victims of accidents involving the rental car
- Personal Accident Insurance (PAI): Provides medical, ambulance and death benefits for the renter and passengers of the rental car
I Rented a Car and Was in an Accident. What Should I Do?
If you get into an accident while driving a rental car you should:
- Notify the rental company for further instructions
- If you declined the rental company's CDW, you'll need to notify your insurance company and/or your credit card company that a claim will need to be made
- Depending on the rental company's policy and the circumstances of the accident, the company may deny you a replacement vehicle
When you return to the car rental office, be sure to get:
- A copy of the accident report, claim documents, and repair estimate
- A copy of the rental agreement
- Photos of the damaged vehicle
Should I Consult a Lawyer about My Rental Car Accident?
Negotiating with insurance companies can be very difficult. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you reach a settlement with your insurance company and all other parties involved. A personal injury lawyer can also represent you in court if necessary.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 08-10-2011 03:35 PM PDT
Did you find this article informative?