Constitutional Rights Lawyers
Locate a Local Government Lawyer
What Is Constitutional Rights?
The U.S Constitution guarantees many freedoms and civil liberties for American citizens. These civil liberties determine what a person is free to do and what the government is prohibited from doing. Constitutional rights basically are rights that protect people from unfair and unconstitutional treatment by the state or federal government.
Constitutional law covers a broad area of cases, which can be very complex. Constitutional claims can involve issues such as:
- Police wrongdoing
- The government passing laws that conflict with individual rights
- An employer discriminating against an employee
- A governing body depriving a person their right to life, liberty, or property without due process of law
What Constitutional Rights Are Protected?
The U.S Constitution guarantees a variety of rights that are protected and the government is prohibited from infringing these rights. Some important constitutional rights are:
- 1st Amendment: The first amendment protects a person’s freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly, right to vote, etc.
- 4th Amendment rights: Protects individuals from illegal search and seizure by law enforcement without a proper warrant or a warrantless exception.
- 5th Amendment rights: Protect an individual’s due process rights, the right to self incrimination, right to be silent during custodial interrogations, and the right against double jeopardy.
- 6th Amendment rights: These include the right to a speedy trial, the right to an impartial jury, the right to assistance of counsel, the right to confront witnesses (cross-examine them at trial), and the right to told of the charges brought against you in a criminal proceeding.
- 8th Amendment rights: These cover rights involving excessive bail and cruel and unusual punishment in a criminal proceeding.
- 14th Amendment rights: There are several due process rights that are protected in the 14th amendment.
What Do Constitutional Rights Attorneys Do?
Constitutional law attorneys help their clients by defending the U.S Constitution and the rights and freedoms that U.S citizens are guaranteed. Constitutional law attorneys play a meaningful role in protecting the freedoms within a country and the rights and freedoms that are promised through the constitution.
The laws of the constitution are the supreme law of the land. Therefor, all other laws and rules that a state or congress create cannot violate the constitution. A constitutional law attorney can support the plaintiff in the litigation if the plaintiff considers that his or her constitutional rights have been violated.
Should I Hire an Attorney?
If you are faced with an issue in which your constitutional rights that have been violated, it is essential to hire a skilled constitutional law attorney. Since constitutional law is very complex and you have the burden to challenge the law, an experienced constitutional law attorney will carefully analyze the rights that may have been violated and decide the strength of your case.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 10-28-2014 03:12 PM PDT
Link to this page