Self-Employment Tax Lawyers

Locate a Local Business Lawyer

Most Common Business Law Issues:

How Is Income Tax Reported If I am a Self-Employed Worker?

If you are self-employed, you are taxed on the income you've earned. You also make business deductions on a Schedule C report. As a self-employed individual, depending on the nature of your business, you can report either on a cash basis or an accrual method:

What Kind of Expenses Can I Deduct from My Income Tax Report?

You report certain business expenses on Schedule C (or Schedule C-EZ if you have business expenses of $2,500 or less). These "expenses" include car expenses, health insurance expenses, interest paid on business debts, rent on business property, real estate and personal property taxes, certain travel/meals/entertainment expenses, utilities, wages paid to family members who work for you, and professional expenses.

How Do I Calculate My Self-Employment Income Tax?

Self employment income is your net profit from your business or profession, whether you participate full- or part-time. Self Employment taxes are calculated on Schedule SE, which you are required to file if you earn more than $400 in self-employment income. As of 2004, the self-employment tax rate is 15.3 percent. Self-employment taxes of 15.3 percent apply to earnings under $87,000. Self-Employment taxes apply to .9235 percent of your net income. Also, after you have figured self-employment taxes, you can then deduct 50 percent.

Are Health Insurance Premiums for Self-Employed Individuals Deductible?

Health insurance premiums for self-employed individuals are 100 percent deductible.

Should I Contact an Attorney?

If you have any questions regarding self-employment tax issues it is wise to contact an attorney. An experienced tax attorney can advise you on the complicated tax system as well as assist you in filling out the correct forms.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 03-12-2015 02:41 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Did you find this article informative?

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

Self-Employment Tax Lawyers,  self employment tax,self employment income,income tax report,health insurance premiums,self employment,employment tax,tax lawyers,income tax,employment taxes,health insurance,business expenses,tax,incmoe,legal,law,business,lawyer,expenses,report,health,deductible