Gender Inequality in the Workplace
Locate a Local Employment Lawyer
What Is Gender Inequality in the Workplace?
Gender inequality in the workplace refers to situations where one employees of one gender are treated somewhat differently than employees who are another gender. This is often the basis of many gender discrimination cases. For instance, employees may notice subtle yet significant differences in the way that men are treated compared with women.
Gender discrimination cases may exist when it can be shown that the employer purposes treated on group of workers better at the expense of the other group. This difference must be based on the gender of the workers, and the employer must be acting consciously and intentionally.
What Are Some Examples of Gender Inequality?
Gender inequalities can take many forms. These include:
- One group getting more breaks or longer breaks than the other
- One group being subject to less punishments for violations
- Preferential treatment in terms of wages, benefits, and opportunities for advancement
- Various forms of harassment
- Termination or hiring that is based solely on gender rather than on employee qualifications or performance
- One group having better tools, equipment, or workspace locations than the other group
Gender inequality is difficult to recognize. One way to spot gender inequality is to question whether these types of distinctions between genders make any practical sense. If they only exist simply because one gender is preferred over another, it may be a sign that inequality or discrimination is occurring.
What If I Wish to Report a Gender Inequality Claim in the Workplace?
If you believe you have a claim for gender inequality, you should take some steps such as:
- Compiling any documents, forms, or other communications that might prove an intent to create an atmosphere of gender inequality
- Gathering witness statements that might be useful for your claim
- Keep receipts, pay stubs, etc., the can show whether you’ve lost wages
- Contact a lawyer for advice
Thus, you may wish to prepare these types of information so that you can have documentation in the event that you file a legal claim.
Should I Hire a Lawyer for Help with Gender Inequality Issues?
Gender inequality has become one of the more litigated issues in employment law. You may wish to hire a lawyer if you have any questions, concerns, or complaints regarding gender laws in your area. Your attorney can provide you with legal advice and representation for your case. Also, your lawyer can help review the evidence to determine what type of remedies would work best for your case.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 01-31-2017 08:45 PM PST
Link to this page