LegalMatch Extends Legal Protections to All Verified Bloggers Displaying "Free Speech" Icon
LegalMatch believes free speech is essential to our democratic form of government. The First Amendment of the United States Constitution specifically guarantees that "Congress shall make no law… abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;" a protection that extends specifically to websites like ours, and to bloggers everywhere.
To further the cause of Free Speech, LegalMatch will agree to defend any blogger who displays their "Free Speech" icon, below, and notifies LegalMatch for verification. Two steps are needed:
- Place the "Free Speech" Icon on your blog.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a link where it is displayed.
We will then write you back, confirming your Free Speech rights are protected.
What to Do
- Most blog software allows you to view the source (HTML) code.
- Before clicking "source" button to view the code, place your cursor where you would like the badges to appear and type a few XXXs.
- Then click the source button and scroll to locate those XXXs.
- Return to this page. Click in either box below to select the appropriate badge code for your web page or blog.
- Return to your blog editing page, select the XXXs and paste the badge code where the XXXs were.
- Click the "source" button to return to regular view.
- Then click your blog program's preview button to see your page with the badge in place.
Choose an icon:
The right of free expression is not absolute, and does not extend to things like copyright infringement, hate speech, and obscenity.
LegalMatch will review all submitted blogs, and will only accept blogs it reasonably believes at the time of this icon's adoption conforms with the standards and practices associated with a legally compliant blog website.
Extent of Protection: Up to three hours of free legal advice will be offered to qualified bloggers accused of defamation as a result of their blog content and who wish to represent themselves in the matter. To receive free advice on your defamation matter, email email@example.com for the contact information of a qualifying attorney. LegalMatch will not reimburse the cost of legal advice obtained through any other means.
To qualify for protection, bloggers must (1) post the free speech icon on their blog(s) in accordance with the rules provided above, (2) send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to notify LegalMatch that the icon was posted, (3) receive a written confirmation from LegalMatch accepting the blogger into the program and confirming protection, (4) display icon continuously for a minimum of three months before seeking advice. Removal of the icon will immediately disqualify blogger from the program.
The extent of assistance provided will be determined solely by LegalMatch and may be terminated by LegalMatch at any time and for any reason. No attorney-client relationship will be formed between LegalMatch and blogger. LegalMatch makes no representation, guarantee, or warranty (express or implied) as to the legal ability, competence, or quality of advice or services which may be provided by attorneys obtained through this program and blogger agrees to hold LegalMatch harmless from all claims, demands and damages arising out of or connected in any way with the advice provided.