What to Do after a Car Accident
Locate a Local Personal Injury Lawyer
Be Prepared for a Car Accident By Having the Necessary Equipment
To prepare for a car accident, always carry an emergency kit in your car at all times. An emergency kit should include: a flashlight, emergency flares, basic medical supplies, and a blanket. Standard auto accident kits can often be purchased at automotive stores.
Steps to Take after an Accident:
Here are a few essential steps to follow if you have been involved in a car accident:
- Check for injuries and immediately call an ambulance if you or someone else is hurt.
- If possible, move your car to a safe place off the road.
- Use your vehicle’s hazard lights, warning triangles, and flares.
- Call the police first: then call your insurance agent.
Protect Against Future Liability
After a car accident, you may be inclined to immediately apologize or cast blame. However, it is usually best to refrain from making any drastic remarks. Above all else, don’t admit fault.
Also, you should avoid stating that you "feel fine" until you have thoroughly assessed your physical state.
Here is what you should do:
- Take pictures of the accident.
- Accurately describe the incident to the police and your insurance agent.
- Visit a doctor and receive verification for your injuries.
Seeking Legal Help: When to Call an Attorney?
To address your concerns and any post-accident disputes, it may be necessary to retain your own personal attorney.
A qualified personal injury attorney may prevent you from agreeing to an inferior settlement, save you from giving up your rights, and deter the other driver’s insurance company from collecting information that could be later used against you.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 03-17-2014 11:21 AM PDT
Link to this page