Vacation Home Rental Disputes
Locate a Local Real Estate Lawyer
What Are Vacation Rental Homes?
Vacation rental homes are properties that can be rented out during vacation seasons or for specific vacation purposes. These are often located in towns or cities that are associated with vacation and tourism, such as Miami, Las Vegas, Honolulu, and other similar destinations. These are sometimes considered more financially advantageous than staying in a hotel or similar lodging.
Vacation homes are usually one family housing units, but they can also involve other types of properties such as condominium units, larger cabins, or multiple family dwelling units.
What Are Some Common Vacation Home Rental Disputes?
For property owners, some common vacation home rental disputes include:
- Issues with the purchase or sale of a rental property
- Conflicts over the rental payments by the patrons
- Failure to properly maintain the safety and cleanliness requirements for the property, since the land owner is often not present on the property at all times during the year
- Illegal or unsafe conduct being allowed on the property, such as excessive noise violations or drug-related crimes
- Destruction of property by vacationers
- Issues regarding title, boundaries, and land use/zoning
- Disputes or questions regarding the home mortgage or home loan
- Disputes over ownership of the property in the event of a divorce, will contest, or other similar situations
For visitors to a vacation rental home, disputes may include:
- Complaints regarding the amenities and furnishings in the home
- Misrepresentation/false advertising of the property
- Disputes over fees and rental amounts
- Conflicts regarding the safety, cleanliness, and maintenance of the property
Thus, vacation rental homes can actually be subject to a wide range of legal disputes, despite the fact that they might not be occupied for the entire year. However, the more the home is used, the greater chance there is that a legal dispute might arise.
How Are Vacation Home Rental Disputes Resolved?
Disputes over a vacation property can result in a lawsuit. These legal claims often result in a damages award for the non-breaching party. For instance, the court may award damages for a breach of contract, failure to pay fees, property damage, or other issues. In more expansive cases, the court might issue alternatives such as an editing of a contract.
Do I Need a Lawyer for Help Resolving a Vacation Home Rental Dispute?
Vacation home rentals can provide great housing options for persons during travels or vacations. They can also be a good source of additional income for the property owner. However, they can also be subject to many types of legal issues and disputes. Also, laws regarding rental properties can vary from state to state. You may wish to hire a real estate lawyer in your area if you need help with any type of vacation home dispute. Your attorney can provide you with legal advice and representation if you need to file a legal claim with the court.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 01-06-2015 02:15 PM PST
Link to this page