Registered Domestic Partnerships in Maine
Locate a Local Family Lawyer
Does Maine Offer Same-Sex Couples Any Alternatives to Marriage?
Yes. In 2004, Maine started offering domestic partnerships. Domestic partnerships in Maine offer some benefits to registered partners that were originally only enjoyed by married couples.
Who Qualifies to Register as Domestic Partners in Maine?
Before being able to register as domestic partners in Maine, the following must be true:
- Each domestic partner must be a competent adult
- The domestic partners have been legally domiciled together in Maine for at least 12 months preceding the filing
- Neither person is married or in a registered domestic partnership with another person
- Each person intends to be the sole domestic partner of the other, and expects to remain so
What Benefits Are There to Registered Domestic Partnerships?
- Registered partners take precedence over other family members to act as a guardian if one partner becomes disabled.
- Registered partners have the right to inherit from one another without a will.
Why Should My Partner and I Register as Domestic Partners?
Domestic partners will not enjoy all of the benefits that the state gives to married couples, and in some circumstances this may be perfectly fine. However, Maine offers marriage as an option to same-sex couples. Thus, choosing to register under a domestic partnership or opting to marry will depend on the specific needs and wishes of the couple.
Do I Need a Lawyer?
Lawyers in Maine are generally not needed to register domestic partners. However, as mentioned above, there are differences between marriage and domestic partnership in Maine, and an attorney will be able to explain both to you and help you decide which best meets your needs as a couple. Moreover, you should consult a wills and trusts attorney if you have questions about how either decision can effect your rights or want additional estate planning assistance.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 07-08-2014 12:41 PM PDT
Did you find this article informative?
Link to this page