Nevada Aggravated First Degree Murder Attorneys
Locate a Local Criminal Lawyer
How Does Nevada Define Murder?
In Nevada, murder is defined as the unlawful killing of a human being done with either expressed or implied malice. It is also committed when a person gives, sells, or trades a controlled substance that causes someone to die. Malice is the intent to take someone’s life. Examples of malice include lying in wait to harm someone, killing to avoid lawful custody, and poisoning. Nevada has three general punishments for murder in the first degree. They are:
- Life without parole
- Life with the possibility of parole after 20 years
- A 50-year prison term with the possibility of parole after 20 years
However, the death penalty is also an option for first degree murder under aggravating circumstances.
What Is an Aggravated Circumstance?
An aggravated circumstance is a heinous and shocking thing done by the person that warrants a harsher punishment.
What Are Examples of an Aggravating Circumstance in Nevada?
In Nevada, aggravated circumstances that may cause a person to get the death penalty include:
- The person who committed murder was already in prison
- The murder was committed prior to the person’s penalty hearing
- The person knowingly created a risk of death to more than one individual because of a weapon
- The person was engaged in a felony, such as a kidnapping, rape, or burglary
- The murder was committed by someone who was trying to escape arrest
- The murder was committed by a person under 14 years old
- The murder was committed because of race, ethnicity, color, sexual orientation, disability, or gender
- The murder involved torture or malnutrition
- The victim was a first responder or police officer
- The murderer killed one or more people randomly
Do I Need Help with My First Degree Murder Charge in Nevada?
If you are facing an aggravated first degree murder charge, you need to contact a Nevada attorney. Your attorney will fight to help you avoid the death penalty.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 10-05-2016 05:04 PM PDT
Link to this page