NBA Agent Lawyers
Locate a Local Business Lawyer
Where Can I Go to Hire an Agent?
Colleges have professional sports counseling panels, which can provide valuable information on how to screen and select an agent. If you are a high school athlete, contact the NBAPA for information on certified agents.
Terms and Conditions of the Agreement
You should have a clear understanding of the actual terms and conditions of the agreement between you and your agent. Provisions included in an agent's agreement to provide services include:
- Duration of the agreement and renewal provisions
- Details of dispute resolution should such a situation arise
- Whether the agent has exclusive rights to handle all contracts
- Terms of agent compensation
- Who is responsible for the agent's expenses
- Procedure for termination of agent services
Criteria for Selecting an Agent
When selecting an agent, consider the following criteria:
- Determine what services you need from an agent and a reasonable price for those services
- The agent's educational background, training, and work experience
- The agent's reputation
- Devotion to your interests
- An agent who will involve your family in the decision making process
- Making you feel comfortable
Do I Need a Lawyer?
Since there are no agent associations, which regulate the agent industry, you should be careful in signing an agreement. Oftentimes sports agents will also be lawyers. However, if you have questions about hiring an agent or signing an agreement, contact a sports lawyer. A sports lawyer skilled in the art of negotiation will be able to help with your concerns in before starting your professional sports career.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 10-28-2011 01:59 PM PDT
Link to this page