Marriage Immigration Lawyers

Authored by , LegalMatch Law Library Managing Editor and Attorney at Law

Find a Lawyer

Marriage Immigration Lawyers

If you were married abroad (not in the U.S.), to an American Citizen who is living in the U.S., and you wish to obtain a visa to live and work permanently in the U.S., you may apply to enter the U.S. either on a fiancé or marriage visa

To apply for a marriage visa, the American spouse must file form I-130 petition to sponsor the alien spouse at their local BCIS office.  Once the I- 130 is approved, the immigrant spouse must than file documents and attend an interview at the nearest American consulate and will later be approved for a visa to enter the U.S.

To apply for a fiancé visa, the American spouse must file form I-129F, a petition for a foreign fiancé, and form I-130 at their local BCIS office.  The foreign spouse will be called for an interview at the nearest American consulate and will then be approved for a fiancé visa.   After the I-130 is approved, you may file for permanent residency (a green card) while in the U.S.   In many cases, filing for a fiancé visa will allow the foreign spouse to legally enter the U.S. sooner than filing for a marriage visa.

Do I Need an Immigration Lawyer?

An immigration lawyer can advice you on how best to proceed in obtaining your visa and may speed up the processing of your application. 

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 03-05-2014 03:16 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Did you find this article informative?

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

Marriage Immigration Lawyers, marriage visa lawyer,nearest american consulate,immigration law,marriage visa,green card,foreign spouse,immigrant spouse,marriage,immigration,spouse,permanent,interview,card