DUI Accident Statistics
Locate a Local Personal Injury Lawyer
DUI Accident Statistics
Accidents from driving under the influence or driving while intoxicated can result in serious injuries and property damage. As a criminal offense, in can lead to incredibly expensive fines and license suspension.
What Constitutes a DUI Accident?
A DUI accident is any accident that is caused by a driver who is under the influence while operating a motorized vehicle. A driver is under the influence if he is voluntarily intoxicated through the consumption of alcohol or drugs.
While most people associate DUI accidents with cars, a DUI accident can be caused by a drunk driver operating a different kind of motorized vehicle than a car, such as a tractor or a motorcycle.
Statistics for the Causes of DUI Accidents
Statistics related to the causes of DUI accidents:
- 94% of drivers involved in fatal DUI accidents had never been convicted of a DUI offense before.
- More than 1.4 million people were arrested for a DUI in 2010.
- On average, there are 112 million self-reported incidents of driving while intoxicated each year.
Statistics for the Harm Related to DUI Accidents
DUI accidents are well-reported, so there are many statistics related to the harm caused by DUI accidents that are readily available:
- DUI accident fatalities accounted for nearly one-third of all traffic-related fatalities in 2010.
- 18% of 2010’s DUI accident-related deaths involved drugs, while the other 88% involved only alcohol.
- 1,249 people under the age of 21 died in a DUI accident in 2011, which is 7% more deaths than in 2010.
- 122 children were killed in 2011 while riding in a car with a drunk driver.
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a person is injured in a DUI accident nearly every 90 seconds.
- Drunk driving contributed to more than 47% of all pedestrian accidents in 2010.
Can an Attorney Help Me with My DUI Accident?
If you have been a victim in a DUI accident, a personal injury attorney can help you assert your right to damages for any injuries you may have suffered.
If you have been charged with driving under the influence as part of being involved with a DUI accident, a criminal lawyer specializing in DUI can assist you in defending yourself against the charges.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 05-16-2014 02:57 PM PDT
Link to this page