Common Immigration Problems
Locate a Local Immigration Lawyer
What Are Some Common Immigration Problems?
Immigration law is a broad field that includes many different legal subjects and issues. Understanding how immigration laws work can be easier if you’re able to narrow down your issue to a more specific category. Some common immigration problems may include:
- Obtaining a Green Card or Lawful Permanent Resident status: This allows the green card holder to live permanently in the U.S. The process for obtaining one can be complex
- Meeting Visa Requirements: Visas come in many forms, depending on the nature of the person’s stay in the U.S. Requirements can vary as well and may often be complex.
- Overstaying a Visa: This can lead to legal penalties such as deportation or removal, or a bar on re-entry in the future.
- Removal/Deportation: Legal violations can lead to a removal proceeding. In many cases, relief from removal may be available to the person.
- Illegal Re-Entry after Removal: After removal, the person must follow the proper procedures and wait times if they wish to re-enter the country in the future.
- Change of Status: After obtaining a visa, it may be possible to obtain an. adjustment of status (for instance changing to lawful permanent resident status)
- Obtaining Citizenship after Immigration: This usually takes several years and involves many interviews and exams.
In order to avoid confusion, you should make an assessment as to what your personal goals are in terms of immigration issues. This can help you to avoid common immigration problems and can make the process of immigration easier.
What If I Have Questions or Concerns about an Immigration Problem?
Questions or concerns about an immigration problem should be directed specifically to a qualified immigration attorney. Obtaining an attorney experienced in immigration law is especially important since this area of the law is constantly changing. Due to immigration quotas and yearly statistics, some immigration rules change every year (for instance, with regards to the number of family-based visas that can be issued for a certain year).
Also, there are many fraudulent entities and scams that target persons with immigration needs. In order to avoid an unintentional violation, you should seek out the direction of a lawyer for advice and guidance. This is especially true if you need to make an appearance before an immigration judge or an immigration board, or for more specific requests such as an adjustment of status.
Be sure to compile all of your immigration documents prior to visiting with an attorney. You may find that your immigration issue can be easily resolved once your documents are examined by a professional.
Do I need a Lawyer?
Most immigration problems can be readily resolved through the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney. You may wish to hire an immigration lawyer if you or one of your loved ones needs the assistance and expert advice of a legal professional. Your attorney can help you with your legal and immigration needs, and can represent you in court if you need to appear before a judge.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 08-05-2015 04:26 PM PDT
Link to this page