Car Accident Lawyers
Locate a Local Personal Injury Lawyer
What Is a Car Accident?
A typical car accident occurs when an automobile collides into another automobile. Other forms of car accidents may involve several automobiles, colliding into bicyclists, and hitting pedestrians.Depending on the speed the driver is going and whether the driver is intoxicated, the accident can be very serious.
In most car accidents, the injured party sues the driver based on a negligence claim. The injured party does not have to prove that the driver intentionally hit him. However, the injured party must show that the driver owes him a duty of care, the driver breach that duty of care, and the breach was the actual cause of the injury. For example, the driver was driver 60 mph in a school zone.
What Should I Do If I’ve Been Injured In a Car Accident?
When you are injured, you should get the other driver’s personal information including address, driver license number, and car insurance information. If the accident is more than minor scraps and bumps, a police should be called on scene to make a report.
Afterwards, if you need medical attention, visit a doctor right away. The will also make a medical record of any personal injury you have.
The police report and the medical report will be used as evidence during the car accident lawsuit to prove your damages. Getting injured in a car accident makes the case much more complicated and you may be entitled to reimbursement for all of your medical expenses. You may also be reimbursed for your mental and physical pain and suffering that occurred because of the accident.
What Is the Process of a Car Accident Claim?
The process of a car accident claim starts right after the accident has occurred. The following steps is the process of a car accident claim:
- Do not admit any guilt of fault following the accident other than giving the other driver your car insurance and contact information
- Get medical help if you or anyone else is injured
- Gather as much evidence as soon as you can such as witness statements, photos, videos, etc
- Hire a personal injury or car accident attorney to help you with the case
When Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
After you have been injured in a car accident, you may file a personal injury claim against the insurance company by yourself. Some people file claims by themselves when they have suffered mild injuries and have the time to research the legal claims process themselves. However, a personal injury attorney can help you go up against the insurance company to get you the compensation that you deserve. Insurance companies have the knowledge to reduce compensation and sometimes even deny the claim altogether.
What Types of Damages Can Be Recovered?
The most common type of damages that are recoverable is monetary damages to offset the injured party’s injuries and damages to his car. If the driver carries car insurance, then his insurance may cover all of your damages. However, if it does not cover all of it, then the driver may be personally liable.
If you are making a car accident claim for property damage only, there are many different types of damages that you are entitled to:
- Cost for vehicle repair and damage
- Personal property damage: You may recover damages for any personal property that was damaged in the car accident
- Reimbursement for car rentals
- Out-of-pocket expenses: Any expenses that you incurred after the accident such as getting a taxi ride home, etc.
- The insurance company will offer you a settlement that is based only on the information and documentation you provide. For this reason, it is important to provide as much documentation for any out-of-pocket expense that you incurred.
Should I Consult an Attorney?
Car accidents may be extremely complicated, especially when multiple parties are involved. An experienced lawyer can represent you. He can help you file suit and even negotiate a better settlement plan to get you the most money possible.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 06-10-2016 01:28 PM PDT
Link to this page