California Ketamine Crimes Involving a Minor Lawyers
Locate a Local Criminal Lawyer
What is Ketamine?
Ketamine, referred to as a club drug, can be extremely popular with minors. But in California, there are laws to punish anyone involved in selling, supplying, giving away, or administering ketamine to a minor.
What Does Selling Ketamine to a Minor Refer To?
It means the defendant exchanged something of value, such as goods, money, or service, with a minor for the purposes of selling them ketamine.
What If I Didn’t Sell the Drug, But Gave it Away Instead?
In California, giving away a controlled substance is a crime. The defendant can still face criminal charges.
What Does It Mean If I Am Accused of Administering Ketamine to a Minor?
It means the defendant purposefully applied the drug to a minor. For example, the defendant may have injected the drug into the minor or put it into another substance, like a drink.
What Will Prosecutors Have to Prove Regarding Me Giving, Selling, Administrating or Furnishing Ketamine to a Minor?
A prosecutor must prove beyond a reasonable doubt a defendant:
- Unlawfully furnished, sold, administered, or gave away ketamine to a minor
- Knew about the presence of the drug
- Knew the drug was ketamine
- Was older than 18 years old at the time
- The ketamine was in a useable amount
- The person receiving the drug was under 18 years old
- Gave the minor ketamine
What is the Penalty to Proving, Administering, Furnishing, or Giving Ketamine to a Minor?
A defendant convicted of the charge faces a felony conviction, punishable by 3 to 9 years in prison.
Are There Any Defenses Against Offering Ketamine to a Minor?
Yes, there are a few defenses. Such as:
- The defendant did not offer, furnish, or administer the ketamine to a minor;
- The defendant did not intend to offer, furnish, or administer ketamine to a minor;
- The defendant does not even have access or possession of ketamine; or
- Illegal search and seizure of the evidence.
Can a Lawyer Help Me with My Charge?
Yes. Contact a lawyer for help with your criminal case.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 08-22-2016 02:44 PM PDT
Link to this page