Back Injury Lawyers
Locate a Local Personal Injury Lawyer
What Are Back Injuries?
Back injuries include any injuries that occur in the lower, middle, or upper parts of the back. They can be accompanied by much pain and limited mobility due to the many interaction between the spinal column and the nerve system.
Back injuries frequently occur in conjunction with other types of injuries, such as head or neck injuries. An injury to the back is often considered to be very serious, as it can lead to other health issues such as temporary incapacitation or even paralysis.
What Are Some Common Causes of Back Injuries?
Many back injuries are caused by some sort of physical blow or trauma to the back area. They can often be the result of some type of accident such as:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Automobile accidents
- Sports injuries
- Criminal incidents, such as those sustained by a victim of assault and battery
However, back injuries do not always involve a physical blow to the back. Many back injuries are caused by repetitive strain. Common causes of these types of back injuries include: repeatedly lifting heavy objects, or standing/sitting in one position for long periods of time.
What Types of Legal Theories Are Involved in Back Injury claims?
There are many different legal causes of action that may be available to you, depending on the cause of the back injury.
A damages award may available in the following circumstances:
- Work-related injuries (i.e., Worker’s Compensation benefits)
- Negligence, as in a slip and fall case where a shopkeeper failed to keep floors dry
- Criminal liability (as in an assault and battery case)
- Civil liability for tortious actions
Can I Recover Costs Associated with a Back Injury?
A person who has suffered back injuries may be able to recover the following costs:
- Medical costs, including hospital bills and payment for pain medications
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages, if the injury has resulted in an inability to work
- Future loss of income, if the back injury has reduced the person’s ability to earn wages in the future
- Additional costs- many back injuries require ongoing rehabilitation, such as physical therapy or chiropractic treatment. The injured party may be able to recover these costs as well
In some criminal cases, punitive damages may be available if the back injuries were caused with a criminal intent to harm the victim.
Do I Need a Lawyer If I Suffer from a Back Injury?
Back injuries can be particularly difficult to deal with. On the other hand, it may be possible for you to be reimbursed for losses you may have experienced due to a back injury. A personal injury lawyer can help you file a claim in court so that you can receive a damages award. Experienced personal injury lawyers can help you with personal injury laws, which may vary according to area.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 02-23-2015 03:03 PM PST
Did you find this article informative?
Link to this page